The Chronicle of Ken Muir
The lands of Culwen including the vills of Barcloy, Kelles, Culwen, and Sudhaik are granted to Sir Gospatrick fitz Orm of Workington. Sudhaik has a church dedicated to St. Laurence and some crofts belonging to the Hospitallers. The motte at Culwen has a small bailey, while that at Sudhaik does not. The Piper’s Cove lies on the coast to the east.
THE CULWEN COAST AS SEEN TODAY
This map from the late 1800’s shows the location of the Motte of Culwen in the upper left. To the right can be seen a small part of the coast. The farm that served the table of the lord is today known as Boreland of Colvend – ‘Boreland being descended from ’Board-land’.